Debt Collection Harassment
Chicago Debt Collection Abuse Lawyers
Protecting You Against Debt Collection Abuse
Harassing or abusive debt collection efforts violate the provisions outlined in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). This act was passed to protect consumers from various forms of harassment and other methods of debt collection that violate their rights. If you have received threats or are being sued by a debt collector, you need experienced legal counsel who can protect you and your consumer rights and stop creditor harassment.
Our attorneys represent individuals who have been the victim of abusive and/or illegal debt collection efforts. We are committed to helping you understand your rights and informing you of violations that debt collectors have made against you, and providing counsel on ways to make it stop. You may feel like you have no alternatives to pursue, but our experienced attorneys can help you determine the best course of action to fight debt collection harassment.
If you are the victim of debt collection harassment, call us today at 866-726-1092 or contact us online to speak to a representative.
We Handle All Types of Debt Collection Harassment
Many debt collectors and collection lawyers routinely violate the FDCPA. You may be entitled to a recovery of up to $1,000 if you have experienced any of these illegal collection practices:
- Calling your cell phone if you did not provide that number.
- Informing third parties, such as extended family, neighbors and co-workers, of your debt.
- Adding unauthorized collection charges.
- Threatening to report a debtor to the Internal Revenue Service if payment is not forthcoming.
- Threatening criminal prosecution.
- Initial demand letters that insist on payment within fewer than 30 days or do not state the exact amount of the debt.
- Suing you in a different county than where you live, suing you for credit card debt where you have not used the card or made a payment on the account in more than five years from the date they filed the lawsuit (not from the date they served you). If you are unsure of when you last used the account, we help you order a free credit report.
Call for a Free Consultation With an Illinois Debt Collector Violation Attorney
You do not have to put up with creditor harassment. We can help you protect your rights. Contact our Chicago debt collection abuse lawyers online or call 866-726-1092 for a free consultation. We handle cases nationwide, not just in Chicago and surrounding areas. We handle a majority of our cases on a contingency basis.